Want to make a positive difference in this world?
As I live my life, I want to do simple things to make it a better place. I want to brighten the outlook for other people. I want to do what I can to ease their burden ever so slightly.
I don’t have the resources of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation so I have to look for simple and practical ways to make a positive difference.
I thought I’d compile a list of ideas for things to do and at the same time use it to inspire others to also better the life of another.
Where possible I have tried to include a link that expands on my idea. I hope you find this useful!
1. Give everyone you see a nice smile.
2. Donate your slightly used clothes to a charity.
3. Be a sounding board for a friend.
4. Be honest and trustworthy.
5. Always offer a shoulder to cry on.
6. Visit someone in the hospital.
7. Buy a discouraged family member some pretty flowers.
8. Buy a co-worker lunch.
9. Pay it forward when you receive an unexpected blessing.
10. Become a Big Brother/Big Sister.
11. Go on a mission trip.
12. Tutor a child for free.
13. Arrange a week of dinners for a couple with a new baby.
14. Facilitate a Financial Peace class.
15. Stop and help change a flat tire.
16. Organize a day to clean up and beautify an area school.
18. Praise a co-worker for what a great job they are doing.
19. Accompany a friend to the doctor’s office.
20. Volunteer at Meals on Wheels.
21. Give a job applicant the break they deserve.
22. Educate yourself on the issues and vote.
23. Serve in the military.
24. Help a friend or family member move to a new home.
25. Plant some flowers for a neighbor.
26. Send a care package to a deployed soldier.
27. Send an encouraging letter to a government servant.
28. Leave an extra big tip the next time you eat out.
29. Tithe at your local church.
30. Plant a tree.
31. Participate in a hiking trail work party.
32. Teach a Weight Watcher’s class.
33. Live a modest, low-impact lifestyle.
34. Reduce. Reuse. Recycle.
35. Teach an adult to read.
36. Adopt an elderly person in a retirement home.
37. Open up your home to a friend in need.
38. Contribute to a microloan.
39. Pick up groceries for a neighbor when they’re sick.
40. Give first-time parents a date night out.
41. Volunteer at your child’s school.
42. Pick up trash along a stretch of road.
43. Adopt a homeless pet, it will do you both good.
44. Teach a Sunday School class.
45. Don’t participate in gossip.
46. Give away your surplus garden produce.
47. Coach a youth sports team.
49. Practice simple kindness.
50. Live your life by the Golden Rule.
I know there are a ton of other ways to make a positive difference in this our world. I hope you’ll add your ideas in the comments below.
Photo by Per Ola Wiberg (Powi)