A budget is the foundation of a solid personal finance strategy. It is the plan that tells your money what you want it to do. Without a budget, you flounder financially. With a budget, every dollar that you make has a job that you assign. Budgets are not limiting or restrictive because you decide how the money is allocated. However, budgets do reveal to you exactly how you’re spending or wasting your money which many of us do not want to face. Creating a budget is a necessity if you want to succeed with money.
The ultimate guide to personal finance budgeting.
Originally, I was going to write an article about how to put together a budget. However, as I thought about it, I realized that I could never cover all the important aspects in just one article. Besides, there were already a lot of great articles already written about personal finance budgets. Instead, I decided to assemble this ultimate list of budgeting resources.
It doesn’t matter whether you are just getting started creating a budget or if you are a budgeting pro. You are sure to find some interesting, practical and useful advice below.
Why you need a budget
If you are aren’t even sure you need a budget to succeed with money, then this is where you need to start reading. Below you will find explanations for why budgeting is crucial to getting ahead with your finances.
1. A Budget Controls Your Money Like A Dam Controls A River
2. Things I Learned Living on a Budget – Part 1, Part 2, & Part 3
3. What is a budget?
4. Creating Our First Ever “Real” Budget Was An Eyeopener
5. Turning Around Your Financial Life (Part 2 of the story)
6. Lessons from Grandma’s Cookie Jar
7. In Defense of Budgets
8. Top reasons people don’t budget
9. 10 Surprising Side Effects to Money Management
10. Realistic Budgeting- The Marriage Saver
11. Why Not Budgeting is More Frightening than Budgeting
12. The Scare of My Life, and Why Budgeting is Important
13. Having A Plan Allows Me To Enjoy Spending Money
How to create and maintain a budget
This is where the rubber meets the road in budgeting. These articles will give you detailed information for creating and maintaining a personal finance budget. Together these articles form a definitive guide to putting together a budget.
14. How to Implement an Envelope Budgeting System
15. Envelope Budget System Strategies To Take On the Road
16. Getting started with the envelope budget method
17. Keep Your Spending Tidy With an Envelope System
18. Budgeting For Dummies Part 1- Creating a Budget
19. Budgeting for Dummies Part 2- Evaluating Your Budget
20. Budgeting for Dummies Part 3- A Budget You Can Stick To
21. How To Realistically and Thoughtfully Increase A Budget Item
22. Create and follow a Budget
23. Zero-Based Budgets for the Home- A Primer
24. Making Every Penny Count With A Zero-Based Budget
25. Family Finances- Our Modus Operandi
26. The Budget Toolbox- 13 Tools for Building a Better Budget
27. A Quick and Dirty Budget
28. Your budget- envelopes or a plan?
29. Budgeting 101- How a Simple Budget Helped Me – And Can Help You, Too
30. Guide to Budgeting & Tracking Money For Newlyweds
31. Budgeting For Two- Newlyweds Edition
32. Fixing your money mistakes- Create a budget
33. Budget Easy and Smart
Tips and Tricks for living on a budget
Adjusting to living on a budget will take you outside your comfort zone. You will have plenty of questions about how to handle specific situations. Therefore, I have provided you with lots of great articles that cover a plethora of budgeting dilemmas.
34. How to Handle Irregular Paychecks
35. The Readers Ask- “How Do You Budget With an Irregular Income?”
36. How Do You Handle Unexpected Expenses?
37. Could Your Family Live On One Income?
38. 9 Tips For Going To One Income
39. How To Avoid Buying Things You Do Not Need!
40. How do you deal with a budget deficit?
41. 10 Ways to Eat Out For Less
42. 3 Tips on Eating Out for Five but Paying for Only One
43. Make Grocery Budgeting A Game, The Price Is Right Style
44. How to work expensive ingredients into your grocery budget
45. What Is Your Weakness?
46. Winning the Daily Cash Flow Battle
47. 22 Money Maximizing Moves You Can Do Today
48. 34 Ways To Save Money On Car Expenses
49. How To Frugally Decorate Your House On A Very Tight Budget
50. How Low Can It Go? Shopping for Style on a Budget
51. how much do i need to earn? reverse engineering my ideal salary
52. Preparing a Budget- Ten Tips for Making That Budget Successful
53. Vacation Budgeting Hack – Don’t Forget About Tips!
54. 13 Free or Cheap Ways To Keep Your Home Cool This Summer
55. Are You Throwing Money Away? Unused Expenses and Untapped Discounts
56. Key strategies to a successful budget
57. Three Ways Falling in Love is Good For Your Budget
Budgeting mistakes to avoid
This section is the troubleshooting part of the guide. Why make the same mistakes that others have already made? By reading these articles, you can learn to avoid the most common pitfalls of personal finance budgeting.
58. Our Dumbest Purchase Ever
59. 10 Mistakes I Made As A First Time Home Buyer
60. My Biggest Budget Busters
61. What Busts My Budget
62. Don’t Make the Fatal Flaw in Budgeting
63. Money Mistake Monday – Watching Every Last Penny Syndrome
64. 5 Common Money Mistakes
65. If You Get Your Paycheck A Few Weeks Early – Be Careful!
66. Intentionally spend your money
Budgeting software to consider
Every remodel job is easier to complete successfully with the right set of tools. There is a wide-range of personal finance software available to help you track and refine your budget. The reviews and information below will help you pick the package that fits your specific needs.
67. My New Personal Finance Software- YNAB Pro Reviewed
68. Mint.com Money Management Software Review
69. Mint- A Fresh New On-Line Personal Finance Tool
70. Mint Review – How Secure is it?
71. Mvelopes Personal Finance Software Review
72. Get Out Of Debt- PearBudget Spreadsheet Hacks
73. PearBudget- An Effective Way to Dip Your Toes into Budgeting
74. A Free and Simple Budget Planner
75. Free Budgeting Tools to Download
76. An Introduction to Quicken Online
77. The Best Budgeting Tools
78. 10 Online Budget Tools
79. My Personal Excel Budget Spreadsheet
A budget will get you on your financial feet fast!
A good budget is a critical step toward financial peace and you will not find a finer collection of articles on personal finance budgeting anywhere! These articles are practical and simple. Anyone can benefit from their advice. Do not delay! The sooner you get started the sooner you will reap the rewards!
Photo by Jeff Keen