As a father of two daughters, I’ve heard this question many times and for the record I’ve spent my share of time in the floor pretending to be one of Barbie’s friends.
However, it wasn’t that comfortable for me at first. You have to understand, I am guy who grew up in rural Oklahoma without any sisters.
My brothers and I played army, rode dirt bikes and generally did whatever we could to get as dirty as possible.
There were certainly no Barbies in my house growing up. Of course, things change. As a father of daughters, I have had to expand my comfort zone and let myself enter their world.
As a result, I’ve learned a few valuable lessons from Barbie.
25 things I learned playing Barbies with my daughters
Here we go. I hope you enjoy the list! By the way, these are in no particular order.
1. Love can get you to do some things that you never imagined yourself doing.
2. The reward you get for stepping out of your comfort zone is worth any uneasiness you may experience.
3. Velcro in the back is a bad way to fasten your pants.
4. Imagination is boundless and wonderful.
5. You can never change clothes too many times in one day.
6. You have to get down on the floor to truly see the world through a child’s eyes.
7. Real fun is simple and doesn’t cost much.
8. Your kids will remember the hour you spent playing Barbies in the floor with them more than they will the vacation that cost you a fortune.
9. Children want our undivided attention more than they want anything else in the whole entire world.
10. In a little girl’s world, being in charge of Daddy for awhile is terrific fun.
11. In a house full of girls, Barbie is always the lead character and as the daddy you never get to be Barbie no matter which doll it is that you are holding.
12. There are never any fights about money in Barbie’s world.
13. You can learn a lot about someone by playing Barbies with them.
14. Barbie is like the rest of us, she only gets a limited amount of time in the spotlight. Enjoy it while you can!
15. Your heart will never be full of love to the point that it can’t hold more for someone.
16. A bad hair day is a subjective call.
17. Shoes are a hassle that are rarely worth dealing with.
18. Having a body that is stiff and inflexible is no excuse. Where there is a will, there is a way.
19. The reputation you have and the controversy you create will be mostly ignored by your greatest fans.
20. Regardless of your looks (good or bad), you can be anything you want to be.
21. Even though you might lose your head once in a while, the situation can be fixed with a little effort. Daddy’s are great at helping with this!
22. Regardless of what you might think, Barbie is a low-maintenance girl.
23. In life, you may get lost, but never fear because the one that loves you will search high and low until you are back in their arms.
24. The love of a child can light up your whole life.
25. You can still look good and do amazing things at 50 and beyond. Happy 50th Barbie!
It is going to be sad when I no longer get to play Barbies
As I reflect on all I’ve learned from Barbie, I realize it is going to be sad when my girls outgrow her. The innocence and pure sweetness wrapped up in these play sessions are near and dear to my heart. Of course, I can always hope for granddaughters way out in the future!
Do you play Barbies? What have you learned?
Photo by Brani’s fashion dolls