Is a great life available to regular people?
It is easy to think that you have to be someone out of the ordinary to really live life to the fullest. A super-hero that leaps giant obstacles in one bound for example.
I know we are all special and extraordinary on the inside, but do regular people have what it takes to live a really exceptional life? I believe we do.
I believe we can accomplish whatever we want even though we are “regular people”. In fact, I’d say regular people have the best opportunity to live a truly great and rewarding life. I’ll explain further in a moment.
I Am a Regular Guy and I Want to Live Life to the Fullest
You may have noticed that I recently changed the tag line in the header of this site to be, “Living Life to the Fullest for REGULAR PEOPLE“. I did this because I believe regular people need encouragement, motivation and practical tips for Super-Charged Living.
Why do I think regular people are interested in this? Because I’m just a regular guy and I have a deep felt desire to live life to the fullest.
Haven’t you ever felt there just has to be more to life than what you are experiencing? I used to feel exactly the same way!
However, over time, through a lot of research, reading and learning, I have learned to live and enjoy life more deeply without shirking my “regular life” responsibilities.
Interested in doing the same? Well, I invite you to stick around. If you’ve been reading for awhile, then I think you’ll find this new emphasis in my articles to be an even sharper focus.
What Is a Regular Person?
Let’s take a step back for a moment to examine what I mean by “regular person”. What characteristics define a regular guy or gal?
Do you think of yourself as a regular person? Most of us would probably answer yes to this question, but why?
The best way that I know to go about putting some skin on this is by describing myself. I think this will help paint the picture of what I mean.
Here is some of what I think qualifies me to call myself a regular guy:
- My Family – I’m married to a great woman who gave me two beautiful daughters. We are a regular family of four with the typical struggles. Being a good husband and father is a big, important part of my life. We enjoy family nights and going out to eat together.
- My Job – I work a regular 8 to 5 job like a lot of other people. Regardless of whether you have ownership in the company you work for or not, regular people work every day to earn their living. I haven’t written any books and I’m not a life coach, therapist, psychologist or counselor.
- My Lifestyle – I live in a very regular neighborhood in the heartland of America. I do not have any maids, nannies, assistants or staff to help me take care of my stuff or my life. I drive a 1997 Ford F-150 pickup that I bought used about 12 years ago.
- My Finances – I lived owing debt to car loans, credit card companies and banks most of my adult life. That’s changed recently because I decided debt is dumb, but that’s just a recent development. For most of my life, my finances were just as messed up as most people’s.
- My Personality – Our temperaments are largely defined by the genes we inherited. I am a very introspective person with a moderate happiness set point. As such, I struggle at times to stay focused and motivated in fulfilling all the responsibilities a regular guy has to deal with.
- My Attitude – Like a lot of you, I am skeptical of a lot of what I read and hear about how to improve my life, finances, marriage, etc. I am a logical, conservative, task-oriented guy that believes living a good life is mostly just commonsense.
- My Past – Like most people, I have a story. I was the first born, my parents divorced when I was about 12, much to my dismay, and I wasn’t that good at sports in school. All of these things and much more left me with my share of emotional baggage.
That’s me in a nutshell. Any of it sound familiar? You might identify with at least some of this. You are quite likely different from me and yet very similar. If so, then I’d say that you are also a regular person.
Regular People Have the Best Opportunity to Live Life to the Fullest
Regular people are great people. They are the backbone of society. They are the ones that raise families, fuel the economy, build businesses, take vacations and volunteer to improve their neighborhoods.
A lot of other folks think our jobs, families, homes, communities and commitments are what make our lives dull. They see these things as anchors holding us back.
However, this is not the case at all. With the right attitude, these are the very things that give us the best opportunity to live life to the fullest. They are the things that make that big family meal on Sunday taste so incredibly good.
Yes, we have families to feed and bills to pay, but we also have the hugs of little ones and the commonsense to become the millionaire next door.
I’ll end where I began. Is a great life available to regular people? You’d better believe it! I know I do. I invite you to stick around so we can learn together more of what it takes to really live a Super-Charged life!
Are you a regular person? Are you living life to the fullest? Leave a comment and let me know.
Photo by lepiaf.geo